Radiation-ecological engineering survey is performed to assess the radiation background of the residential and industrial areas, development lands or individual premises. This type of survey is implemented both in the predesign stage and in the stages of project development and documents preparation. Moreover, conducting the research and the quantitative assessment of the radiation situation is required to be part of the environmental engineering surveys in compliance with SP 11-102-97.
Radiation-ecological engineering survey comprises the following types of work:
- gamma-radiation survey;
- assessment of the background levels of the equivalent dose rate within the survey area;
- identification of areas with signs of radiation contamination;
- sampling of soils, rocks and bottom sediments for further laboratory determination of specific activity of natural radionuclides Ra-226, Th-222, K-40, Cs-137;
- measurements of equivalent equilibrium concentration of radon and thoron in working zone air and in residential premises;
- evaluation of radon flux density from surface and inside strata.
The «Institute of Environmental Survey, Planning and Assessment» implements radiation-ecological engineering survey, using the state-of-the-art equipment: dose-rate meters MKG-01-0,2/2, radon radiometer PPA-01M-03 and others. All devices are registered in Gosreestr of the measurement tools and have undergone calibration.